Friday, July 24, 2009

Cookie Magazine - Recycle Re-Invent Editor's Review

Here is another blog post from Cookie Magazine by editor Jane Sung...
she reworked a necklace of pretty Rose Quartz gemstones into this lovely design...

give new life to old jewelry

janematerials.jpgWhen I was asked to go to a Lunessa jewelry-making event, the invite instructed us to bring in “unworn baubles, half pairs of lonely earrings,” so I eagerly dug through my jewelry box and pulled out a few necklaces that I no longer wear but have hung onto for one sentimental reason or another.

janeclass.jpgAt the class, Lunessa designer Elise Perelman (her designs are sold in the store, along with those of select other jewelry designers) patiently discussed with each of us what we didn’t like about the pieces we brought in and how we’d like to change them. I ended up transforming a too-precious necklace into something I’d be more likely to throw on. The original style was made up of pink stones linked by silver pieces, with more pink stones dangling at every inch. I ended up cutting up all the silver parts to free up the stones.

Lunessa also had a tray of tiny semiprecious stones for us to use as we updated our pieces. I strung together a combination of my pink stones, laboradorites, and faceted gold beads on a sturdy but delicate line. I then learned how to “seal” off the necklace with a jewelry clamp, twisted a thin gold wire on either side to connect the stones to a thin gold chain (my metal of choice). Finally, I twisted some more gold wiring to add the clasp, including an extension chain which would allow me to wear my necklace at different lengths.

necklace.jpgReworking an old necklace into something I’d wear made me feel creative and eco-friendly.

See another project after the jump!

Below, see how a silver hoop earring was transformed into a cool pendant necklace!

before hoop.jpgafter hoop.jpgIf you're in the New York City area, check out a class!

1 comment:

  1. Its gorgeous and light , i like it for its various
    designing.
    silver

    jewelry exporters

    ReplyDelete